2012년 5월 29일 화요일

THIS HOUSE SUPPORTS THE DEATH PENALTY


THIS HOUSE SUPPORTS THE DEATH PENALTY



     Actually, this was the first debate topic that I've got when I was on the debate team in my middle school. I chose this topic not just because this issue is familiar to me, but because this is what I really advocate on. Living in Korea for more than 17 years now, I heard too much about hideous crimes and too weak punishments. Also I heard numerous cases where weak punishments about the first-degree murderer led to more grudge crimes. Murderers who had fulfilled sentences often went to kill witnesses, prosecutors, or other people involved in the court case.
     The most common opposite argument for this issue would be about the basic human rights of that criminal. They might say, even though what they have done is against our ethics and is wrong, we still don't have right to take away their rights. Furthermore, they will also argue about the sadness and tragedy that will occur to the family and close friends of the one. However, I will rebut this argument by giving two arguments which will support death penalty policy.
      The first supporting argument will be about preventative role it will play for the society. If weak punishments occurs steadily, gradually people will have less awareness about committing crimes. This will then lead to the increase in the number of crimes. The death penalty will play preventative role for further crimes and will therefore stabilize the society.
      The second argument that the proposition side can bring is that the death penalty prevents the accused from committing further crimes. As mentioned above, accused will have hatred towards the prosecutors and eventually, as other cases show us, will lead to other crimes. The death penalty for first degree murderers will thus prevent possible crime that can happen in the future.
       With those two main arguments, I strongly support for the adoption of death penalty in Korea.



Soon, I will equip myself with bunch of evidences and statistics and come back! :)

댓글 1개:

  1. Good brainstorm and I respect your opinions. However, I think once you start to read through the various articles and consider things more fully, you will either choose some different arguments or upgrade the ones you have.

    The assumption that the death penalty dissuades criminals from committing murder is the argument that I feel is easy to attack. Does a murderer really stop and think about jail and the death penalty before he punches someone or gets drunk and shoots his boss? Probably not. It might make some small difference, but ultimately I don't think we would see far fewer murders.

    Good writing and I look forward to your essay. Make sure you read before you write.

    답글삭제